WNIX, the oldest radio station in Greenville, signed-on October 18, 1939 as WJPR. The station was located at 107 S. Poplar Street in Greenville and operated on 1310 kHz with a power of 250 watts. The station was owned by John R. Pepper. The General Manager was Paul Thompson and the Program Director was Bert Furgason.
On February 29, 1941, the station moved to 1340 kHz, still operating with 250 watts. On May 26, 1946, the station was sold to Radio Services Company. In the early 1950s, WNIX moved to 1330 kHz, the frequency on which the station operates today. At the time, power was increased to 1000 watts daytime and 500 watts at night.
In the late 40s and early 50s, the station had an FM sister station, WJPR-FM, operating on 101.9 mHz. However, that was long before the popularity of FM stations and the FM was eventually turned off some time in the early 50s. The station has had a variety of formats over the years and is currently the only News-Talk station in the Greenville area, featuring Rush Limbaugh and other popular talk shows. An FM simulcast on 101.1 was added in 2011. In 2015, WNIX-AM increased power to 3800 watts, making it the most powerful AM station in the Mississippi Delta.